Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Design Career

As I progressed from elementary to secondary school I discovered I enjoyed working with design and arts as woodworking, computer design and other interactive media as it let me translate thought to paper, and paper to reality. By high school I had decided to pursue the career of a product designer, as the process would allow me to demonstrate my way of understanding a concept while slowly honing my ability. The Industrial Design course appeared to offer a promising journey with irreplaceable knowledge and technical ability to be acquired.

I have been told by friends, peers and adults alike that my clarity in understanding the requirements of a task often take the form of graphical and visual projects, as they are a vehicle for my expression to be translated from thought to reality. In this way I have always seen myself as an art-oriented individual, years of art tutoring with a close family friend seemingly preparing for such a career. Towards the end of my schooling career I was faced with the choice between Industrial and Graphic design, similar courses from many perspectives, but fundamentally different in purpose. From carefully considering my potential futures from these two subjects, I came to understand that industrial design offered far more potential to create working ideas into working models, prototypes and products in a 3-dimensional space, rather than depicting the concepts.

I often find frustration in the poor and deeply flawed designs of the world in which we live in and which we are forced to interact with in our day-to-day lives. Ironically many of these frustrating designs are within the design workshop with inconvenient and hazardous machinery. However the majority of these products which could potentially be so much easier to use, safer to use, less damaging to our ecosystems and so forth, mostly appear within society and its households. Taking the steps necessary to pursue a design based career is taking steps to help shape the future of design by reshaping faulty concepts into more practical user friendly designs.

I believe almost every problem in the world, both major and miniscule problem, can be solved in a functional, creative, revolutionary design. As a human in this wide world, I look to better the lives of those around us and those yet to be born by attempting to discover solutions to problems through the world of design. Towards the end of my time in UNSW, I intend to offer my ability and thinking to open minded design companies in order to steer the path for the products and designs of the future.

1 comments:

Daihyun Jang said...

I like how you are unhappy with bad design, you are obviously very driven. My skills from visual art have also helped me this semester. Id is was clearly the right choice.

Post a Comment